|ART AND CRAFT EXHIBITIONS
Curators of the exhibitions:
The name of the curator of the very first exhibition is not recorded, but many years later the curators were Ivo Leber, Marjan Peršič and Anne Zemllic, with catalogue designs by Vasja Koman and Draga Gelt.
The exhibitions included many Slovenian artists born in Slovenia and surrounding countries, as well as the young Australian Slovenians, and sometimes international guests of Polish and Sri Lankan communities.
The exhibitions were mainly in Melbourne, but at times in Canberra, Wodonga, Geelong, Sydney and other places as well.
SOME EXHIBITION CATALOGUES
Collection of paintings and Essays from the International Year of the Child 1979 Exhibition at Digital Library of Slovenia: World of Our Chuildren – Svet naših otrok compiled by Draga Gelt
The Art Exhibition Colours of Love – Barve ljubezni, June 2013
There were 23 artists exhibiting, 12 of them children from the age 6-12.
The judge and visiting artist was Monika Brunacky from the Australian Slovak Association.
The Winners of the Artists’ Awards were the following:
- The Award of the Embassy of Republic Slovenia in Canberra for the painting When the War is Over – Marie Hogan
- Encouragement Award to the Slovenian artist of the 1st generation for the painting Near Dimboola – John Kodrič
- Encouragement Award to the Slovenian artist of the 2nd generation for the painting Helena– John Knap
- Encouragement Award to the Slovenian artist of the 3rd generation for the painting Autumn Gold – Ashleigh Ryff
- Peoples’ Choice Award 1st place went to Metka Skrobar for the painting Spring Fields of Slovenia
- Peoples’ Choice Award 2nd place went to John Kodrič for the painting View from You Yangs
- Peoples’ Choice Award 3rd place went to Luiza Debevec for the painting Victorian Country Scene
- 6 years: best depiction of the topic (Butterfiies and Rainbow) Leah Mae Gelt, best tehnique (Fairy’s World) name anonymous
- 7 years: best depiction of the topic (Rainbow) Daniel Bogovič, best technique (Untitled – Colours of Unconditional Love) Kaspar Ferra
- 8 years: best depiction of the topic (Love) Evie Johnson, best technique (Sydney Harbour Bridge on a sunny day) name anonymous
- 10 years (Flowers): Matthew Katsoulotos
- 11 years (Bled): Marcus Bogovič
- 12 years (Sunflower): Julia Markic Smith
- Special acknowledgement to Marcus Katsoulotos for his Lego exhibits.
Essay and Lego Competition I am a Slovenian Too, 2014
The Essay and Lego Competition I am a Slovenian Too was staged in June 2014 at the Slovenian Association Melbourne.
Participants were children ages from 7 to 18 and adults.
The judges were Mrs Magda Pišotek (essays) and Mr Andrew Potočnik (Lego).
The Winners of the essays competition were:
Up to 7 years
Leah Gelt, 7 1st prize
Sienna Pišotek, 7 2nd prize
Alex Pišotek, 10 1st prize
Evie Johnson, 9 2nd prize
Mia Pišotek, 8 3rd prize
Daniel Bogovič, 8 commendable
Thomas Scott, 11 encouragement
Jeremy Ryff, 16 1st prize
Julia Markič Smith, 13 2nd prize
Lucas Hliš, 13 3rd prize
Natasha Žagar 16 encouragement
Zalika Rizmal 1st prize
Vivien Boosz Falež 2nd prize
Andrej Potočnik 3rd prize
Lenti Lenko highly commendable
Rachel Lenko honourable mention
Sandra Krnel commendable
Frances Ryff commendable
Megan Lowe commendable
Silvia Žele essay in Slovenian language
Ashleigh Ryff encouragement
Up to 7 years
Sabrina Johnson 1st prize
Leah Gelt 2nd prize
Oscar Krnel 3rd prize
Sienna Pišotek encouragement award
Marcus Katsoulotos 1st prize (extremely talented, master of the Lego)
Mia Pišotek 2nd prize
Alex Pišotek 3rd prize
Evie Johnson encouragement award
Jeremy Ryff 1st prize
Ashleigh Ryff 1st prize
Frances Ryff 2nd prize
Julija Čampelj 3rd prize